Community Info - The Page
Parents should continue to check email for important information regarding the school schedule and student life. LA's Covid-19 information is collected here: www.lacademy.edu/covid19
Parent and Student Information
There are no shuttles to the commuter rail train into Boston this weekend.
- 6:00-10:00 Westford/Littleton Shuttle (Departs @ 6:00, 7:30, 8:45) Get dropped off to see a movie at Littleton or just go out for fast food.
- 7:00-10:45 Movies in MacNeil with dessert
- 7:00-10:45 Xbox in MacNeil
- 6:00-10:00 Fun Night out! (Arcade, food & bowling!)*
- 8:00-10:00 Open Gym, Fitness Center & Weight Room
- 12:00-9:45 Movies in MacNeil with evening snack of Hostess snacks (Twinkies & Ding Dongs)
- 1:00-3:00 Open Gym & Fitness & Weight Rooms
- 12:00-2:00 Local Shuttle (Shaws, CVS, etc.) (departs at 12)
- 5:00-6:15 Dinner with Dina at Shumway House* - Eat a homecooked meal prepared by Mrs. Mordeno!! She is an amazing cook and baker. SIGN-UP to reserve your seat at the table!!
- 6:00-8:00 Westford Shuttle
- 6:30-10:30 Movie Trip to O'Neil Cinemas @ The Point* (Sign-up to attend - choose your movie at the theater or at dinner that night. Sign-up will close 4pm Thurs.) (Rated R movies may only be seen if an adult attends the movie with you. The faculty member assigned to this activity is not obligated to choose to see the same movie as you.)
- 12:00-4:00 Nashua Shuttle- See a movie, shop at Pheasant Lane Mall or other stores or grab a snack/meal (Departs @12)
- 12:00-7:00 Movies & XBox in MacNeil
- 12:00-4:00 Eat Out at China Star* in Lowell
- 1:00-3:00 Open Weight room & Fitness Center and Open Gym
- 2:00-4:00 $8 Cash Cab to the Circle of Life Fast Food Shuttle (Ayer Circle)
Expectations: Attendance, Travel & Sign-Outs
A word (or two) regarding Sign-Outs, Absences, and Buses:
- All weekday absences or sign-outs (late arrival, early dismissal, doctor's appointment, out sick, special trip home, etc.) should be called in by the parent to the attendance line (978-448-1518), e-mailed by the parent to the attendance line (firstname.lastname@example.org) or submitted IN PERSON by the student to the Office of Student Life.
- All weekend sign-outs for boarders should be submitted electronically by the student. This information is automatically forwarded to parents. Look for the address email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org in your inbox.
- For after-hours emergencies or to speak with a live person during non-school hours, please call the faculty member on duty (OD) at 978-758-7896.
- Students may not use Uber (or similar services). Lawrence Academy has a list of approved drivers and services that have passed all of the necessary background checks. Please contact Andrew Healy, dean of students, for more information.
- Students may not sign-out to a hotel unless a parent or guardian is present.
Upcoming Community Life Events & Meetings
Winter Term Assessment Week Evening Breaks
- 3/1 Sunday - Frozen 2 & Frozen Treats (@ MacNeil 5:45-7:15)
- 3/2 Monday - Nerf & Nuggets (@ Park House 6:00 - 7:30)
- 3/3 Tuesday: Improv & Ice Cream (@ Theater Classroom 3:45-4:45)
- 3/3 Tuesday - DIY Facials & Fruit with a visit from the Groton PD therapy and K9 dogs - Miranda & Bane (@ MacNeil 6:00-7:30)
- 3/4 Wednesday - Dribble & Donuts (@ Gym 6:00-7:30 or after last game)
Student Government, Committee and Club Upcoming Meetings
Student Government Committees
Anyone may join a committee – students do not need to be elected to SG to be a member of a committee. Faculty are welcome to join the committees as well. Click here to join a committee.
- Community Life Committee – this the group works on activities, the calendar of events and plans specific weekend events together. Club leaders, proctors, and anyone else who wants to get involved with the activities we offer beyond the academic day may serve on this committee.
- Food Committee – meet with DH staff to discuss suggestions and ideas for our meals; assist with planning and implementing themed meals
- Special Events Committee – plans homecoming, formal events, and end of year activities like a field day and the underclassman night.
- AAA (Academics, Arts, and Athletics) a space to discuss the intersection of these areas and how to strengthen that intersection or to discuss issues which affect these areas.
LA Cares: Service At LA
Spartan Community Collections:
Collection bins are located in the Student Lounge, Dining Hall Lobby, Conant Gallery, and Athletic Center Lobby.
Full School Year: Non-perishable food through the Groton Food Project will be donated to Loaves & Fishes, a local food pantry every two months while school is in session (October, December, February & April)
Winter Term: Winter Warmth in January - winter outdoor wear (jackets, snow pants, hats, gloves/mittens) for baby size through adult sizes for Lazurus House in Lawrence, MA. (January)
Spring Term: New stuffed animals for Sleep in Heavenly Peace (so each child gets one with their new bed) (April-May)
The community service graduation requirement of 6 hours a year must be done during the academic year, early September 2019 through early June 2020 for freshman, sophomores and Juniors. Seniors (Class of 2020) must have their community service – senior year and all previous incomplete years – done by February 28, 2020, the last day of winter term classes. We always encourage students to volunteer over the summer for programs they are interested in learning more about, however summer hours may not be used towards the small requirement we have.
Click here to read about how to verify service hours. Many projects are offered through Lawrence Academy on the weekend and are posted in the weekend activities here on The Page or on the community service webpage. (Summer service, is wonderful and encouraged, but not accepted as part of our requirement.)
Community Service Opportunities: Play baseball with kids with disabilities, help build a house for a deserving family, organize donations for children and teens in need, visit with senior citizens and adults and children with disabilities, serve a meal at a soup kitchen, and more. Check out the full list of CS options through our online community life sign-ups. All CS projects have possible service hours to be earned in parenthesis after the title. (The start and end times include travel time, if the project is away from campus. Travel time is not counted towards required service hours.)
Upcoming "on-your-own" service options in the local Area:
For anyone who lives locally below are some options for you to get some community service hours done for the 19-20 school year. With these options, you are responsible for your own transportation.
Must be 16+ and you need to register to volunteer directly through HFH – there is no LA sign-up.
It will probably fulfill the full 6 hours for the 19-20 school year!
Parents' Association: Information/Meetings/Dates
- February 3 - Parent Association meeting, MCC at 6:30 PM
- February 6 - Faculty and Staff Appreciation lunch, MacNeil Lounge
- April 21 - Parent Association meeting, MCC at 6:30 PM
- May 2 - Parent Association Spring Social, McDonald Library Terrace, TBD
- June 2 - Parent Volunteer party, TBD
Information & Resources
- LEXINGTON, CONCORD AND ACTON (SCHEDULED STOPS)
- (1) Lexington, Harrington School, 328 Lowell Street 6:50 AM
- (2) Alcott House Lexington Rd (AM) Concord, PM drop off at Rte. 2 at Crosby's Corner Mobil Station 7:10 AM
- (3) Concord, Rte. 2 at Paparazzi Restaurant 7:20 AM
- (4) Acton, Rte. 2A/119 at the Makaha Restaurant (AM) 7:25 AM
- Note: PM drop-off is across the street at Donelan's
- ANDOVER (SCHEDULED STOPS)
- (1) Downtown Andover (Chestnut Street parking lot located behind CVS) 7:00 AM
- (2) Route 133 intersection @ the Boston Sports Club 7:10 AM
- SPECIAL DEPARTURE TIMES
- Friday, September 6th (Class dinners) 7:00 PM departure
- Oct. 25th (Parents Weekend) 5:00 PM departure
- Nov. 11th (Winterim Night) 7:00 PM departure
- Nov. 21st (Last day of Fall exams) 2:00 PM departure
- Dec. 16th (Holiday Concert) 7:45 PM departure
- March 9th – March 19th (Winterim) 4:30 PM departure
- March 20th (Winterim Wrap-Up night) 6:30 PM departure
- May 26th (Prom) 2:00 PM departure
- May 28th (Sr. Parent Dinner) 5:00 PM departure
- May 29th (Graduation) 2:00 PM departure
- June 4th (Last day of Spring exams) 2:00 PM departure
- Friday, September 6th (Class dinners) 7:00 PM departure
- Both bus lines arrive on campus at approximately 7:45 AM. The academic day starts at 8:00 AM.
- Return departure from Lawrence Academy in the fall and spring is 6:30 PM (during the winter, the return is at 7:00 PM). The bus leaves from behind the dining hall.
- Students who are not able to catch the evening bus due to an away game, late practice or other school commitment must arrange for their transportation that evening; bus service is not adjusted to accommodate late practices or games.
- During the winter months, a one hour snow delay bumps the listed departure back by one hour, a two hour delay bumps the listed departure back by two hours, etc.
- When school is cancelled (weather, head's holiday or long weekend) bus service to campus is also cancelled.
DRAFTED weekend plan for next weekend
Subject to change!
Weekly Parent eNews
- Dec. 20
- Dec. 13
- Dec. 6
- Nov. 22
- Nov. 15
- Nov. 8
- Oct. 31
- Oct. 24
- Oct. 18
- Oct. 11
- Oct. 4
- Sept. 27
- Sept. 20
- Sept. 13
- Sept. 6
- Aug. 30
- Aug. 26
- June 6
- May 31
- May 24
- May 17
- May 10
- May 3
- April 26
- April 19
- April 12
- April 5
- March 29
- March 15
- March 1
- Feb. 22
- Feb. 15
- Feb. 8
- Feb. 1
- Jan. 25
- Jan. 18
- Jan. 11
- Jan. 4
Senior Parents: The form for parent pages may be found here and you may order a 2020 Lawrencian yearbook here. Senior photos from a source other than LA's photoshoot are due October 31st. Portraits should be 300 dpi, size 1.5 x 2. Members of the Class of 2020 receive a free half-page in the yearbook, for which seniors usually design a collage, due in December. Questions? Email Ms. McGowan.
Senior Class Ring Information
Jostens was on campus during lunch on February 4, 2020 to take orders for class rings from seniors. Click here to read more about the rings, the cost and the ordering process. Click here to view a photo of the ring. A student can reach out via email or phone if they would like to order a ring.