Updated 4/23/18 9:04 AM
Below, please click to expand the drop-down for each information section...
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
This page has valuable information for students and their families regarding the 2018 - 2019 school year.
Graduation June 1, 2018
Each senior will be given ten (10) formal invitations to be sent to family or close friends. Susan Hughes will have these invitations ready for you by April 30. The number of guests is not limited, nor do guests need tickets. There is ample seating for families and friends (current students sit in the back rows).
Senior Breakfast is Thursday, May 31 commencing at 8:00 AM in MacNeil Lounge. This alumni-sponsored, in-house event welcoming the Class of 2018 into the Alumni Association will be followed by a photo session. Appropriate dress is required.
Senior Dinner, Thursday May 31, 6:00 PM
Graduation Dinner, a buffet dinner on the Quad is at 6:00 PM on Thursday, May 31 for seniors and their immediate families. Dress is dressy casual (shirt with or without tie and the equivalent for women). Following the dinner, we will move to the Richardson-Mees Performing Arts Center for the presentation of the Senior Parent Gift and the Senior Class Slide Show, an annual tradition. Dinner and festivities in the RMPAC are for seniors and their immediate families. Grandparents who have traveled a distance are welcome, but we ask you to use discretion regarding extended family. Senior boarders are allowed to sign out for the evening with their families if they wish.
Graduation, Friday June 1, 10 AM
Graduation will take place Friday morning, June 1, at 10:00 AM on the Quad. We have a tent over the entire Quad, so graduation will be held there rain or shine. Refreshments are available. The dining hall is open for lunch, although no formal luncheon is served. All graduation activities will conclude by 1:00 PM. Please note, other than trustees and auction recipients, there are no reserved seats.
Lunch at Gibbet Hill after Graduation and Lodging at The Groton Inn
As in years past, Gibbet Hill will open for lunch for any family who would like to book a table there after the ceremony. Graduation is 10-noon, with socializing afterwards. Gibbet Hill began taking reservations March 1, so please check to see if there is still availability. The number is 978-448-2900. In addition, the newly opened Groton Inn is taking reservations with a special LA rate.
Be sure to Check out the Online School Store for Graduation Gifts!!!
ORDER YOUR All School and Class of 2018 Photo Now!
The 2017-18 all school photo is available for purchase, framed or unframed, along with the class of 2018 photo. You can order through this link directly from the photographer. Samples of the pictures and frame are in the bookstore. Prices are as follows:
Unframed $ 30
Laminated (unframed) $ 35
Framed and Matted $130
Class of 2018
Unframed $ 22
Laminated (unframed) $ 27
Framed and Matted $105
Community Events and Information
INFORMATION AND RESOURCES
- Lawrence Academy has been invited to return to Carnegie Hall! In April 2019, Lawrence Academy students will travel to New York City to sing in performance at Carnegie Hall. This is the third time students from LA will participate in this 4 day festival. This year, because of the high level of musicianship and responsibility that our students have shown in the past, any LA student is invited to participate! In order to participate, students must either enroll in LA Singers for next year or join the Lawrencian Chorale that rehearses on Thursday nights from 6:30-7:30 PM on campus. The registration deadline is June 1st. If you think your child would be interested in participating, please contact Jenny Cooper, Director of Music
- New this year! Summer Program in Florence, Italy, with the opportunity to earn 6 college credits. The deadline has been extended to April 30.
- LA Class Rings: Juniors and seniors are invited to purchase Lawrence Academy signet class rings from one of two vendors. Click here for more information.
- The Parent Resource Guide from the Parents’ Association and the Student Handbook are available in your MyBackPack account for viewing.
- You may find the Athletic game schedules on LASpartans.com. Please note: The schedule is subject to change and rosters are not yet up-to-date.
- Another way to stay in the know is to follow us on social media (via Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook).
- Be sure to check out This Week at LA. There, you will find the School Year At-a-Glance Calendar, the academic newsletter, the Monthly Calendar, and the Athletic Calendar. A new newsletter is generally uploaded on Friday.
- Click on single Parent Volunteer Form to sign up to help!
- LEXINGTON, CONCORD AND ACTON (SCHEDULED STOPS)
- (1) Lexington, Harrington School, 328 Lowell Street 6:50 AM
- (2) Alcott House Lexington Rd (AM) Concord, PM drop off at Rte. 2 at Crosby's Corner Mobil Station 7:10 AM
- (3) Concord, Rte. 2 at Paparazzi Restaurant 7:20 AM
- (4) Acton, Rte. 2A/119 at the Makaha Restaurant (AM) 7:25 AM
- Note: PM drop-off is across the street at Donelan's
- ANDOVER (SCHEDULED STOPS)
- (1) Downtown Andover-across from the CVS 7:00 AM
- (2) Route 133 intersection @ the Boston Sports Club 7:10 AM
- SPECIAL DEPARTURE TIMES
- Thursday, March 1st (last day of winter exams)(buses will depart campus at 4:30 PM)
- Monday, March 5th - Thursday, March 15th (Winterim)(buses will depart campus at 4:30 PM)(IMPORTANT: SEE BELOW FOR FRIDAY, MARCH 16TH)
- Friday, March 16th (Winterim wrap-up night)(buses will depart campus at 6:30 PM)
- Friday, May 25th (prom)(buses will depart campus at 4:30 PM)
- Friday, June 1st (graduation)(buses will depart campus at TBD)
- Thursday, June 7th (last day of spring exams)(buses will depart campus at 4:30 PM)
- Both bus lines arrive on campus at approximately 7:45 AM. The academic day starts at 8:00 AM.
- Return departure from Lawrence Academy in the fall and spring is 6:30 PM (during the winter, the return is at 7:00 PM). The bus leaves from behind the dining hall.
- Students who are not able to catch the evening bus due to an away game, late practice or other school commitment must arrange for their transportation that evening; bus service is not adjusted to accommodate late practices or games.
Parents' Association News
Parent Dinner to celebrate the class of 2018. Friday April 27 at 6:30 p.m.,Doug and Eileen Long’s house (. Meredith ’15 & Donald ’18) 18 White Tail Way, Littleton, MA. Kindly RSVP by April 24, 2018 to Eileen Long.
PA Bookgroup Discussion. The book group will meet on May 11 at 8:30 am in MacNeil to discuss The Four Sacred Gifts: Indigenous Wisdom for Modern Times by Dr. Anita Sanchez. Note: this will be a facilitated discussion with Raquel Majeski, Director of Diversity, equity and inclusion and Assistant Head of School Libby Margraf. Check out this link for more information.
Grandparents' & Special Friends' Day is this Wednesday, April 25.
The Annual Spring Social and Fundraiser is May 5, 2018. Invitations have been mailed. We are hoping for 100% participation as this promises to be a fun and exciting event. Co-chairs are Noreen Britt (Clayton '19) and Robin Loporchio (Tim '20).
Annual student raffle from Monday, April 30 through Thursday, May 3. The student raffle is part of the 2017-2018 fundraising efforts that ties into the theme of the May 5th parent spring social, "Strong at the Center – Celebrating the Heart & Soul of LA".
As part of our gift-gathering endeavors, we are seeking donations that would particularly appeal to LA students. We will be selling raffle tickets during lunchtime for these four days. Winners will be announced on Friday, May 4 at morning assembly. Items can be picked up immediately after the assembly in the RMPAC or later in the Development Office. Proceeds will directly benefit Lawrence Academy.
Please consider a donation of gift items or funds to augment our efforts.
Some ideas for donations are:
The Point Gift Cards: restaurants, shopping (transportation for students is available from Lawrence Academy)
Merchandise: iPod, iPad, jewelry, headphones
Food: gift cards for Bliss Bakery, Dunkin' Donuts, Johnson's, Kimballs, Panera, Five Guys
Tickets: concerts, movies
Prom: hair and nail salon services, tux rental, flowers
Dorm Prep: mini fridge, Target/Bed Bath 'n Beyond gift cards
Athletic Accessories: caps, t-shirts, sweatshirts, LA gear, pro or college items
Creative Selection: of your choice
Cash: to be used to purchase some of the above items
To participate in this year's student raffle, please return this form to Hellie Swartwood in the Development Office by Wednesday, April 25. Your donation (marked "Student Raffle") can be delivered or sent, also to the attention of the Development Office, by April 25, 2018.
If you would like to volunteer to help at the student raffle (10:30am – 1:00pm, Monday, April 30 – Thursday, May 3), please contact Melissa Usen. Any amount of time you have to help our students is appreciated.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR PARENTS
Student Life Weekend Activities 4/20-4/22Friday, 4/20
6:00-9:00 PM–Westford Shuttle (Departs @6 PM & 7:30 PM)
7:00-10:30 PM–XBOX in Student Art Gallery
7:00-8:30 PM–Environmental Film Festival in MacNeil (& Kahoot Team Registration in lobby)
8:30-10:30 PM–Kahoot Team Trivia for Prizes (Register your team before 8:30)
10:45 AM-3:15 PM–CS Project–Groton Town Clean-up*
11:45 AM-4:45 PM–CS Project–Habit for Humanity House YOUTH Build* (Acton, MA)
12:00-2:00 PM–Westford Shuttle (one departure @12)
12:00-10:30 PM–Movies in MacNeil
1:00-5:00 PM–Library Open
6:30-11:30 PM–Blackout ONYX LATINX Dance @ Milton*
6:30-10:30 PM–IHop Eat Out (& Nashua shopping if needed) – show up for a seat on bus, no sign-up needed
7:30-9:30 PM–Evening Snack in MacNeil
10:45 AM-2:15 PM–CS Project- Groton Country Club Clean-up*
10:45 AM-3:15 PM–CS Project- Groton Town Clean-up*
12:00-2:00 PM–CS Project - Kindness Rocks Placement on Rail Trail*
12:00-2:00 PM–The Point Shuttle (departs @12:00 PM)
LA Cares: Service At LA
Visit Community Life Sign-up page for all CS options and weekend activities...
All Students – need to complete 6 hours of community service EACH year you are enrolled at LA. All hours need to be turned into Tanya Clark.
Verification of hours – get a letter signed by the person coordinating your service for the non-profit (not a relative) or have the leader email Mrs. Clark
Boarding Student Sign-Out Rules and Expectations
- Weekend sign-outs (and only weekend sign-outs) are initiated by the student through REACH.
- Day sign-outs and weeknight absences (Monday-Thursday) must be done in person through the dean of students or the faculty member on duty (OD). Parent/guardian approval is required.
- All sign-outs are due by 9:30 AM on Thursday. REACH shuts down at this time and does not accept new sign-outs until 8:00 PM on Sunday. At this time parents are contacted via email to approve the sign-out.
- Students that miss the sign-out deadline or have a change in plans must sign-out directly through the dean of students or the faculty member on duty (OD). Students that repeatedly submit their plans after the deadline may lose their sign-out privileges.
- After 5:00 PM on Friday, any changes or updates (early/late return) must be communicated to the faculty member on duty through the parent or guardian. Students may not call in changes themselves.
- Transportation and lodging.
- Students may not use Uber. Lawrence Academy has a list of approved drivers and services that have passed all of the necessary background checks. Please contact Andrew Healy, dean of students, for more information.
- Students may not sign-out to a hotel unless a parent or guardian is present.