Updated 6/14/18 2:47 PM
As Lauri and I take time to reflect on this past year for our son Brian, LA class of 2019, we find ourselves feeling profoundly grateful for the positive impact that a Lawrence Academy education has had on his growth.
We hope that you too feel immense pride in your students' accomplishments, and we write to ask you to consider joining us in making a gift to the LA Fund that reflects the appreciation you have for this experience.
Our goal is to receive 100% parent participation by June 30th in order to fully capture the sense of pride, appreciation, and investment we all have for the school and the powerful experiences it provides for our children.
Thank you very much for your consideration and for everything your family contributes to making LA such a special place.
Lauri and Alex Sugar, Trustee (Brian '19)
Community Events and Information
INFORMATION AND RESOURCES
- Lawrence Academy has been invited to return to Carnegie Hall! In April 2019, Lawrence Academy students will travel to New York City to sing in performance at Carnegie Hall. This is the third time students from LA will participate in this 4 day festival. This year, because of the high level of musicianship and responsibility that our students have shown in the past, any LA student is invited to participate! In order to participate, students must either enroll in LA Singers for next year or join the Lawrencian Chorale that rehearses on Thursday nights from 6:30-7:30 PM on campus. The registration deadline is June 1st. If you think your child would be interested in participating, please contact Jenny Cooper, Director of Music
- LA Class Rings: Juniors and seniors are invited to purchase Lawrence Academy signet class rings from one of two vendors. Click here for more information.
- The Parent Resource Guide from the Parents’ Association and the Student Handbook are available in your MyBackPack account for viewing.
- Another way to stay in the know is to follow us on social media (via Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook).
- Be sure to check out This Week at LA. There, you will find the School Year At-a-Glance Calendar, the academic newsletter, the Monthly Calendar, and the Athletic Calendar. A new newsletter is generally uploaded on Friday.
- Click on single Parent Volunteer Form to sign up to help!
- LEXINGTON, CONCORD AND ACTON (SCHEDULED STOPS)
- (1) Lexington, Harrington School, 328 Lowell Street 6:50 AM
- (2) Alcott House Lexington Rd (AM) Concord, PM drop off at Rte. 2 at Crosby's Corner Mobil Station 7:10 AM
- (3) Concord, Rte. 2 at Paparazzi Restaurant 7:20 AM
- (4) Acton, Rte. 2A/119 at the Makaha Restaurant (AM) 7:25 AM
- Note: PM drop-off is across the street at Donelan's
- ANDOVER (SCHEDULED STOPS)
- (1) Downtown Andover-across from the CVS 7:00 AM
- (2) Route 133 intersection @ the Boston Sports Club 7:10 AM
- SPECIAL DEPARTURE TIMES
- Friday, May 25th (prom)(buses will depart campus at 4:30 PM)
- Thursday, May 31st (senior parent dinner)(buses will depart campus at 5:00 PM)
- Friday, June 1st (graduation)(buses will depart campus at 1:30 PM)
- Thursday, June 7th (last day of spring exams)(buses will depart campus at 2:00 PM)
- Both bus lines arrive on campus at approximately 7:45 AM. The academic day starts at 8:00 AM.
- Return departure from Lawrence Academy in the fall and spring is 6:30 PM (during the winter, the return is at 7:00 PM). The bus leaves from behind the dining hall.
- Students who are not able to catch the evening bus due to an away game, late practice or other school commitment must arrange for their transportation that evening; bus service is not adjusted to accommodate late practices or games.
LA Cares: Service At LA
Visit Community Life Sign-up page for all CS options and weekend activities...
The community service requirement of 6 hours a year must be done during the academic year, early September 2018 through early June 2019 for freshman, sophomores and Juniors. Seniors (Class of 2019) must have their community service – senior year and all previous incomplete years – done by February 22, 2019, the last day of winter term classes. We always encourage students to volunteer over the summer for programs they are interested in learning more about, however summer hours may not be used towards the small requirement we have.
Community Service Graduation Requirement: All students have a graduation requirement to complete 6 hours of community service each year they attend LA. Those hours need to be completed during the school year. Students in classes 2022, 2021, and 2020 may complete their 6 hours from Sept. 1 - early June. Students in the class of 2019 need to have their senior year and all previous year’s hours completed, verified and submitted. by February 22, 2019 (the last day of winter term classes).
Click here to read about how to verify service hours. Many projects are offered through Lawrence Academy on the weekend and are posted in the weekend activities here on The Page or on the community service webpage. (Summer service, is wonderful and encouraged, but not accepted as part of our requirement.)
Community Service Opportunities: Play baseball with kids with disabilities, help build a house for a deserving family, organize donations for children and teens in need, visit with senior citizens and adults and children with disabilities, serve a meal at a soup kitchen, and more. Check out the full list of CS options through our online community life sign-ups. All CS projects have the possible service hours to be earned in parenthesis after the title. (The start and end times include travel time, if the project is away from campus. Travel time is not counted towards required service hours.)
Boarding Student Sign-Out Rules and Expectations
- Weekend sign-outs (and only weekend sign-outs) are initiated by the student through REACH.
- Day sign-outs and weeknight absences (Monday-Thursday) must be done in person through the dean of students or the faculty member on duty (OD). Parent/guardian approval is required.
- All sign-outs are due by 9:30 AM on Thursday. REACH shuts down at this time and does not accept new sign-outs until 8:00 PM on Sunday. At this time parents are contacted via email to approve the sign-out.
- Students that miss the sign-out deadline or have a change in plans must sign-out directly through the dean of students or the faculty member on duty (OD). Students that repeatedly submit their plans after the deadline may lose their sign-out privileges.
- After 5:00 PM on Friday, any changes or updates (early/late return) must be communicated to the faculty member on duty through the parent or guardian. Students may not call in changes themselves.
- Transportation and lodging.
- Students may not use Uber. Lawrence Academy has a list of approved drivers and services that have passed all of the necessary background checks. Please contact Andrew Healy, dean of students, for more information.
- Students may not sign-out to a hotel unless a parent or guardian is present.