Lawrence Academy seeks to encourage the voice of every community member and invites a spirit of education as a means of celebrating diversity.
Framework for Initiatives
Lawrence Academy has a long history of commitment to diversity and continues to endeavor in its efforts to grow a community that is conscious of the world around it and instill in its faculty and students great respect and appreciation for our ever-changing, diverse world. Further, our hope is that by embracing these values students will eagerly and confidently contribute optimistically to an evolving society.
To be successful, we believe the work of increasing equity and justice must be shared by the school community. In that vein, faculty, students, trustees, and parents can and do take part in guiding the school as it strives to accomplish the following goals:
• Ensure that our environment is inclusive and supportive;
• Assess the core curriculum, materials, pedagogical philosophies as to the sensitivity of all areas of diversity to broaden the view and lenses in which students and faculty look, see, and learn;
• Recruit and retain a more diverse faculty and staff; and
• Create a robust and proactive admissions strategy to increase enrollment of a broad diversity of students.
We encourage an open and on-going exchange of ideas and a participation in initiatives and events as we embrace new opportunities to increased equity and justice in our community.
Examples of School Community Diversity Initiatives
• Association for Black and Latino Encouragement (ABLE)
• Faculty Reading Group
• Professional Development Series
• Author Series
• Schoolwide assemblies (Speakers and Performances)
• Regional and National Conferences
• AISNE Student of Color Conference
• NAIS People of Color Conference/ Student Diversity Leadership Conference
• Diversity Night at the Movies
• Cultural Coffeehouse
Diversity programs at Lawrence Academy are under the direction of the school's Director of Diversity Programs, Elkinsette Clinton.