First, "Congratulations to the Class of 2014 and their families!" It's been a pleasure to have your students on campus and we look forward to seeing them return as alumni (and we hope you accompany them, too). However, for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors there's a full week of academic activity remaining, and we urge everyone to read through today's e-news and keep an eye on LAcademy.edu for updates and information on exam week and the close of school. By the way, next week's Powderhouse News will be the final regular edition of the e-news for the 2013-14 school year.
Events & Information
- Senior Capstone 2014: The entire community is invited to meet the Class of 2014 and view the best academic work of their senior year. Capstone 2014 will be held tonight, Thursday, May 29, in the Gray Building and Ansin Academic Building from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m. Seniors will be on hand to interact with visitors via performance pieces, displays, show and tell items, and presentations.
- Graduation will take place tomorrow morning, Friday, May 30, at 10:00 a.m. on the Quad. There is a tent over the entire Quad, so graduation will be held outdoors -- but under cover -- rain or shine. Refreshments will be available and the dining hall is open for lunch, although no formal luncheon is served. All graduation activities are expected to conclude by 1:00 p.m.
Please also note:
- Prior to the graduation ceremony, a class picture will be taken without caps and gowns, so appropriate dress (shirt and tie for boys and the equivalent for girls; no jeans, sneakers or casual sandals, no undergarments showing, no short skirts) is required of graduates.
- Individual photographs of each graduate as they receive their diploma will also be taken, and ordering information will be sent directly to parents from Commencement Photos, Inc.
- All seniors should be moved out of their dorms and off campus by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, May 30. To maintain an academic atmosphere, we ask that graduates remain off campus through the final day of exams, June 6.
- Senior Parents should continue to keep tabs on the Class of 2014 Information Page. There, you’ll find full information about your students’ final day at LA as well as information about the 2014 Senior Parent Gift. Currently, we are at 76% participation; our goal is 100% of Class of 2014 parents, so please make your gift today.
- Exams are next week! This year's subject dates are:
The UPDATED full schedule (PDF) is available here.
- Language, Monday, June 2
- Math, Tuesday, June 3
- Science and NGP, Wednesday, June 4
- English, Thursday, June 5
- History, Friday, June 6
- Exam Week/Move Out: All boarders are expected to depart campus after their last commitment next week. Rooms are expected to be inspected before moving out! Summer storage pods are still available for our long-distance boarders. Students should sign up for storage space in Mrs. Margraf’s office. Exams end at noon on Friday, June 6. Dorms close at 2:00 p.m.
- Bus Schedule: Please also note the following changes to the day student bus schedule...
- Tomorrow, Friday, May 30, buses depart campus at 1:30 p.m.
- Next week, June 2 - 6 (Exam Week), buses depart campus at 4:30 p.m.
Opportunities for Parents
- Welcome Phone Calls: To help smooth the transition of new incoming LA families next fall, we ask current LA parents give them a welcome phone call over the summer. Many of our previous volunteer callers are "graduating," so we are looking for parents of current freshmen, sophomores, and juniors (especially boarding parents) to fill their shoes. The calls should be made in mid-August, and you will receive a script with further instructions to help you make the call. If you are available to help, please email Jaleen Siekman (Alicia '17) by June 1, and she will add you to her list of callers. Be sure to give Jaleen a little information about your student's interests and background (sports teams, music, arts, previous school, etc.) to help with matching you to the new families you will be calling.
- LA Note Cards on sale: A box of eight scenic Lawrence Academy note cards created by renowned Boston artist Mark Waitkus is available for purchase at $20.00 per box. Click here to order.
- The 2014–15 Return to School Information Page is now available. Currently, you will find the School Year-At-A-Glance calendar (PDF) and information from the Business Office. Information to be added over the next few months includes: book ordering, summer assignments, dorm and orientation information, and athletic information, so be sure to bookmark this important page.
- Interested in purchasing a 2014 Lawrencian yearbook? Contact faculty member Laurie McGowan.
- Be sure to check LAcademy.edu's photo galleries for all of our latest updates, including photos from spring varsity athletics. See a photo you like? Order it!
Parent Volunteer Form
Check out the latest campus news